|“|| A source of inspiration for Dungeon Masters of any level.
This core rulebook for the Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game features advice and rules for Dungeon Masters of all levels of experience, with a particular focus on running adventures and campaigns in the paragon tier (levels 11–20). It includes advanced encounter-building tools (including traps and skill challenges), storytelling tips to bring your game to life, new monster frameworks to help you craft the perfect villain, example campaign arcs, a comprehensive look at skill challenges, and a detailed “home base” for paragon-tier adventurers—the interplanar city of Sigil.
The book is divided into six chapters, as follow:
- Group Storytelling — This chapter focuses on the narrative side of the game from the DM's point of view, offering techniques to encourage players to help DM shape the story of the game.
- Advanced Encounters — This chapter expands on the information presented in Chapter 4 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide to give DM tips, techniques, and a few tricks to make dynamic, exciting combat encounters for the game.
- Skill Challenges — This chapter supplements the material in the Dungeon Master’s Guide that introduces the rules for skill challenges. The start of the chapter includes updated rules for creating and running skill challenges. From there, the chapter continues with lengthy advice for creating skill challenges that are engaging and exciting for every player at the table.
- Customizing Monsters — This chapter adds more elements to DM’s toolbox by expanding the options from the Dungeon Master’s Guide and adding a new tool: monster themes.
- Adventures — This chapter contains plenty of advice to help DM build a campaign. Sample campaign arcs, including a hands-on example of how to build a campaign arc, help DM form the skeleton of the campaign, and information about using artifacts and organizations can help DM flesh out the details.
- Paragon Campaigns — This chapter offers tips and suggestions for campaigns set in the paragon tier, presents the city of Sigil as a home base for characters’ adventures through the paragon tier, and includes a short adventure for 11th-level characters.